PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a professional pilot, and finding a job
Old 3rd Dec 2003, 18:14
Crashondeck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of what has been posted above is good advise.

I am a civvy through and through and much like you, wasnt sure about military life suiting me. I chose to start flying after establishing a career in a proper job. I have been lucky and got a brilliant flying job, but there have been many people I have met along the way that ran out of money or simply couldnt get that first job.

So if I was you, get down to the University Air Squadron NOW and start flying with them - shows you are keen - brownie points at selection.

If you decided to go civvy, use your degree and get a proper job and earn decent money. Forget the flying for a while until you have saved enough to do at least your PPL.

Always make sure that you have a plan b - ie could go back to a proper job in case the aviation bit didnt work out. The way the North Sea is at the moment, job security is not good (in fact that goes for just about any part of the helicopter industry), having something to fall back on is no bad thing.

But dont let that put you off - go for it, but carefull planning is of utmost importance.