PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More info on Astra
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2020, 10:53
Willard Whyte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SLXOwft

Could this be managed with pilots? Would it be possible to keep current on both military and civil types? I can see a possible mutual benefit with certain airlines.
Whether it is still the case I have no idea, but in the past once one was posted away from a particular (military) type one was deemed to be 'non-current' with immediate effect. It would certainly be possible to remain current having left, returning for essential BCRs and the like, but I suspect 'the system' isn't really set up for that sort of thing.

We did experiment with reservists at Lyneham for a short period of time but matching their availability to the tasking was ultimately impossible. I can well remember having a conversation with someone's personal assistant about getting someone to crew a flight, a day trip to and from Europe, only to be asked if we could delay it until the following week when they would have a space in their diary. The only one's who were available tended to be those who'd retired and were at a bit of a loose end - i.e. unemployed or pottering around the garden tending to their petunias whilst waiting for gin-o-clock.