PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blind BEA Viscount Captain.
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2020, 09:07
chevvron

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by pulse1
I was told that this kind of thing was not unusual in the Highlands because the older wartime flightcrews up there knew that they were unlikely to be trained in jets and had nothing to lose.
I flew from Glasgow to Sumburgh with one having previously flown with the captain in a Chipmunk at 6 AEF White Waltham a couple of years previously. It was a 'stopping' service calling at Inverness, Wick and Kirkwall and on the leg from Wick to Kirkwall we descended to about 500ft to get a good view of Scapa Flow and the sunken ships there with me standing on the flight deck (had to stand all the way from Inverness to Sumburgh as there was no jump seat fitted).
On another occasion, (maybe the same skipper?) I was training in Glasgow Tower when the Viscount inbound from Campbelltown/Macrihanish reported downwind; myself and my mentor searched the sky but couldn't see it - until it climbed to pass over the Erskine Bridge as it had been flying below the banks either side of the Clyde valley until that point .

Last edited by chevvron; 20th Sep 2020 at 09:17.