PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Passengers stuck on plane wing during evacuation
Old 18th Sep 2020, 21:18
White Van Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good point Dave. However the manufacturer says "the normal flow of actions allows enough time for the flaps to reach a position beyond flap 1 and even if this did not occur, the drop to the ground from the flap 1 setting was still within with the maximum of six feet certification requirement", so why would they need the FO to check the flaps had reached the selected position before shutting down the engines?

Also, the report is also unsure of the meaning of "Confirms Flap 5", stating only that it "suggests that this action requires the flight crew to confirm that the flaps have already travelled to flap 5".

DaveReid have you flown the type? (no disrespect if not, just trying to shine some light on type specific operations). Do operators of the type normally teach to wait a few seconds before shutting the engines down and continuing with the evacuation? I would be surprised if they were expecting you to sit on your hands for a few seconds waiting for the flaps.

I was also very surprised to read that the captain reported when practicing RTO/evacuation in the sim that they would normally select Flap 5 when the decision to reject was taken - I've never seen any actions on an RTO that aren't geared towards keeping the aircraft on the runway and stopping as quickly and safely as possible.

Ambiguously written/taught procedures are one of my bugbears, and it just annoys me that this hasn't been cleared up in the recommendations of the report.