PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - iPad use for instruction
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2020, 09:29
Jhieminga

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by what next
It is about half the size of a standard kneeboard. Why should it obstuct the view more than a kneeboard?
Indeed it should not, but I have seen pilots sticking suction cups and mounts to all available windows around their Cessna until they were effectively inside a simulator. There's a bit in Part-NCO somewhere that states that personal electronics shall not obstruct the view in any way. If you keep your tablet in your kneeboard or mounted to your knee in some way, this will not be an issue.
Originally Posted by what next
Then hurry and get yourself one :-)
I'd love to, but right now I'm not flying enough to be able to afford the investment. I mainly instruct to PPL level, with a focus on the first part of the syllabus. Within these lessons I focus on getting students comfortable in the aircraft and with basic flying and the basic manoeuvres, all stuff that doesn't need much in the way of additional teaching tools beyond my airfield charts. If and when my yearly hours pick up again and I end up doing more navigational stuff, I will certainly give this another thought. An iPad with ForeFlight on it would be a very handy bit of kit I suspect...

But the aim of the thread was not me getting my credit card out, the question was whether it would be a useful tool during instruction. I haven't missed one yet, but that may be due to the specifics of my flying. I do my W&B and check the weather on my phone, maintain an electronic logbook, check NOTAMS using EasyVFR Basic... I'm certainly not against electronics around aircraft!