PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you keep pushing?
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2020, 19:49
boltz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been there....

Not going to tell you what you should do, rather tell you about my experience.
I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade. Did my apprenticeship and then left straight away to take up flying. Rather than go up north i did instructing for a year and then moved onto low level survey work for the second year. I would have to say, I've never had so much fun! Especially the low level work. Got to see most of Australia! This was all 12 years ago.
Unlike most, I had zero desire to go to the airlines. I wanted to stay in GA.
So why did I leave only after 2 years? I must say my employers were great and I flew well maintained aircraft. I was effectively my own boss doing the survey work and would make all the calls.
I left for a few reasons. Poor pay, sick of living out of a suitcase, spare time spent in country towns <10,000 people, rarely seeing family and friends.
It was hard for me knowing I spent $70k on flight training just so I could earn as much as someone at Coles... so I left without another job lined up. I said to myself I'm done with aviation as a whole, not just flying.
Being unemployed for a few months I ended up taking a job in aviation. Been with this company for 10 years now and have moved up the ranks. Have excellent conditions with a base pay on par with a Qantas 737 FO, with overtime available if I want to earn more.
Do I love my current job? Hell no. I don't hate it but I don't love it. I do enjoy the overall package which is why I'm still here after 10 years and will continue to be so.
Like most I still look up when a plane flies overhead and do miss those awesome adventures you have with flying. They are priceless.
Now my job is just a job. I work to live, not live to work.
I still fly but it's as a hobby.
Hopefully hearing everyone's experience helps you with making your own decision.