PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2020, 01:55
slats11

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So what you're saying is they subscribed death to anything but flu, they go to all the trouble to to give a cause of death, but for some reason, they ignore the actual cause of death! Really?
No. I am saying there is very little attention given to the cause of death in nursing homes. It took a while before Italy recognised the scale of COVID deaths in the nursing homes - everyone was focussed on hospitals.

I wouldn't acknowledge that most flu deaths are never diagnosed.
It is widely accepted we have not diagnosed most COVID infections in Australia. Estimates vary between 70,000 to 500,000 total infections. Take your pick. And that is for a disease with unprecedented effort and expense directed at testing.

I very certain you haven't had anyone close, like your mother for instance, where you would have spent a reasonable amount of time in an aged care home, otherwise you'd know they are VERY aware of flu as a killer of the residents. Talk to any Dr caring for residents in an aged care home and that's what they will tell you.
Wrong
I don't have to talk to a doctor - I look after patients in nursing homes. I tell the relatives that 'flu was a likely / possible cause of death, but could also have been aspiration, heart attack, stroke, pulmonary embolism - and that I can't be sure without testing.

Official 'flu data for Australia only counts lab confirmed cases. Again, this does not happen in nursing homes.

Have you ever previously seen teams of clinicians swabbing everyone in nursing homes? No, nor have I.

30+ years as a clinician, with some post-grad training in public health