PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 17th Sep 2020, 00:00
M.Mouse

Controversial, moi?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Altruism is often talked about but, like 'safety is our primary concern', only happens if it doesn't cost much. True altruism is rare.

Pilots were served a Section 188 notice.

UNITE/BASSA carried out a widely reported public campaign about BA's opportunistic raid on Ts & Cs. I am sure that if they had been willing to talk and BA refused that would have been reported and worked against BA. UNITE/BASSA thought that stamping their feet was better despite WW disabusing them of that tactic in 2008. BASSA has always represented their members badly and is led by people with little acumen. I think you are incorrect in saying BA would not talk.

Pilots on dead fleets being retained at the expense of juniors is as a result of past agreements. It was LIFO in all but name. It is patently absurd to keep surplus top earners and give them a costly conversion course at the expense of an already qualified on type junior (cheaper) pilot but that is an agreement prevalent in aviation. I am sure BASSA would be upset if agreements were ripped up on a whim. I remember reading a well respected BALPA rep saying that it is what protects loyalty and long service and I also remember thinking it is almost unique in that in any other walk of life if you are surplus then bye, bye however long you have worked for the company.