PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK ATCO Redundancies
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2020, 18:38
escaped.atco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems a shame that these trainees couldn't have at least finished their course and been left with a student licence. At least they would have had something that might have helped.

Interesting prediction of traffic levels not recovering until 2024/25, that is a long time away. We can only assume that someone doing the figures has factored in natural wastage and worked out that these trainees will have no place for the foreseeable future. As airports approach NATS and other ANSPs with demands to reduce costs in order to ensure their own survival and competitiveness, it is difficult to know where this is all going. Ironically it may be more cost effective to get rid (early retirement, VR etc) of those older and more expensive ATCOs and replace them with trainees on a different contract. I would guess that if NATS had opened their recent VR program to ATCOs, there would have been a stampede for the door by a significant amount, that in turn would have left ample space for the newbies. My suspicion is that the current NATS model and generous T&Cs package is unsustainable, the problem as I have stated previously is that other ATCOs have always benchmarked against NATS. Once NATS decreases T&Cs then others will inevitably follow.

The only saving factor would be a dramatic and sustained aviation recovery, unfortunately this government doesn't seem to think aviation is worth saving at present.