PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 407
Thread: Bell 407
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2003, 12:56
407 Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The facts are that 2 have crashed in the past 2 weeks, both from the same company in the same area. In the 6 months prior to this recent wave of accidents, the 407 fleet has actually done quite well, the last reported (NTSB) occurrence was back in May.Worldwide, There are about 600 - 407's flying to an estimated 2,500 to 3,000 - 350 series (just a wild guess?)
I can tell you of about a dozen 350 incidents in the same 6 month time frame. (check www.ntsb.gov for USA accident/Incident stats)
Jack stall is a concern, (and you are correct, it is somewhat aviodable), but there have been several unexplained HYDproblems, resulting in catastrauphic accidents (OMNR B2 crashing inverted, high time pilot, CAVU day) ...plus other unexplanied accidents, (BA into the Grand Canyon wall, 7 killed) a B3 rolled up on an airport Mesa AZ, several other
B3 failures, including another engine failure last week in AZ, and the 355 in England this week.
If you sit back and look at numbers of accidents/Incidents Vs fleet size and hours flown, I'd hazard a guess that they both have
similar and very unaccaptable numbers....after all 1 is too many !

I'd say that there is a big concern over 2 accidents and 1 fatality in 2 weeks, but don't be jumping in with both feet.....I'd be waiting for the NTSB to report, and believe me, they must be extremely busy on these 2 files.

I have about 1,500 on 407's now and about 2,200 on 350's, so feel quite comfortable comparing the types. IMHO, I certainly prefer flying the 407, for a variety of reasons, one being the structure of the cabin area.

Regardless, there is a family in mourning in the US, missing their father, husband, mate, so for that, I offer my sincere condolences.