PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "JetStar" the name - 23 A320s ordered
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2003, 09:43
OhBehave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“If we are going to be cannibalised, we may as well cannibalise ourselves”.

Exactly. The whole aim of Jetstar is to reduce the growth in the high cost mainline (or reduce its market share) and expand the market share of the lower cost carrier.

Jet jockey. What a load of BS. Av teacher’s salaries at 70,000. It may have been reported that way but do you know what politics is all about. ACT third year teacher as of Sep 2003 - $43,470. NSW thirteenth year teacher - $59,000. Av teacher pay across the country is about $42,000. Get your facts straight.

Three Bars. I can assure you of one thing. Not a single ppruner/pilot/wage earner on the planet thinks that “there is nothing wrong with the current trend . . . . “

People are realistic though, and understand that although we would all like to be paid a kings ransom, the conditions on offer are beyond the control of ANY PROSPECTIVE PILOT looking at working for Jetstar. It is simply out of my hands and out of your hands too. We were not consulted.

Lets face it. The majority of pilots will be experienced and type rated on the Airbus – all will be Australian passport holders. A lot may be ex Ansett and some will be attracted to come from overseas. Some may come from outfits like Dragon air where they were employed direct from GA, or some European carriers like BMI or Easy jet.

A lot may decide the lifestyle or conditions are better where they are and will choose to stay put – Jetstar will not be the be all and end all of airlines to work for.

But it will be based in Oz and that will be reason enough for some folks.

I am ex AN, work in Asia on narrow body airliners for a major carrier and get paid less than the figures quoted at Jetstar. It will take me longer to get a command here and rent/cost of living is double than oz. I know of people at Silkair and Eva (and other carriers) in similar positions where a move to Jetstar would result in MORE disposable income, quicker commands and many would say better lifestyle. Some of these good folk have up to 7-8 thousand hours Airbus time including C and T.

So, I ask you, why wouldn’t I apply for a position at Jetstar.