PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2020, 00:07
michigan j

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bend alot
Then what do the 300 folk that are onshore meant to do?

Stats are only good if you understand a bit about them.

I do hope you will answer the 300 guys in a real bad time line position - I do not think they have any options but become illegal.

I know of only 2 cases that months ago got out and back in.

Many of the skilled visas were also granted long ago with PR and every right to enter.

Tourist visas (but that covers possibly many of Tom Hanks crew) is very low - I do not see the point of your post..
The point of my post? To inform, and not allow people to jump to shrill and false conclusions.

This data includes the numbers of incoming Australians and non-Australians during the month of August, and also where they are from, and their citizenship and visa status, and provides comparisons with previous time periods.

It doesn't discuss anything else, including those who are already in Australia and who hold a valid visa. I am sorry you read the data as a slur on visa holders who might have been here for some years. It reflects negatively on your ability to comprehend a simple presentation of very basic information. The data does not touch on Tom Hanks or anything else. There are many forms of permanent and temporary visas, and this data does not differentiate between those types.

As for the 300 non-Australians whose visa will shortly expire, they will have to contemplate either getting another visa to stay, or a visa extension, or alternatively either leaving or staying illegally in Australia. Whilst flights are still leaving, there is no excuse for a temporary visa holder to stay illegally in Australia, and doing so will generally reflect negatively on that person in any future visa decisions. Of course I am sorry they are in a bad situation, but the pandemic has not changed this equation. Discussions about whether non-Australians with no income, visa, health cover or access to other support should stay in Australia is not what this data is about. There has never been a prohibition on non-Australians leaving Australia.

Again, this data only discusses the numbers and characteristics of people traveling to Australia during August.