PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA wheelie 777 @heathow
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2020, 07:01
Mullah Kintyre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stuka Child
Elevator authority was reduced yes, but they didn't "lose" it. They were in control 100% of the time.
I think our definitions of "control" and "authority" might be different.
The 777's speed is reducing throughout the video.
Up-elevator is required to maintain the wheely attitude.
As speed reduces, so does elevator effectiveness so more and more upward deflection is required to maintain the attitude.
At a certain speed full deflection is reached.
The elevator in the video is fully-deflected upward from the beginning of the de-rotation until the nose-wheel's somewhat clumsy touchdown.
I think we can agree on the above.
Below that speed the aircraft "de-rotates" under the control of gravity, not the elevator. The pilot/elevator might influence the de-rotation but certainly do not control it at that point.
This is evidenced by the fact of the elevator not deflecting any further upward during the de-rotation and especially just prior to what some people think is a smooth nose wheel touchdown. On that topic, look at the size and the distance involved and the downward speed of the nose as it touches down and think again about it being gentle or not.

Yeah, too bad they didn't erase the pilots who are rubbish at flying on instruments, who are uncomfortable without autothrust and with handflying in general, who are scared of their aircraft and who fall to pieces as soon as something "startles" them. I maintain my point that these are the real killers, not that guy doing a soft field landing in a big 777.
I don't disagree.