PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Strategic Defence Review 2020 - get your bids in now ladies & gents
Old 13th Sep 2020, 19:28
SLXOwft

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts
At the risk of further thread drift.

Although the roles may to a have differed the first the first three Tornado sqns had ex-Vulcan number plates 9, 27, and 617, 9 of course later shifted to RAFG.
Prior to 1990 in addition to RAFG there were six 1 Group squadrons (including 45/TWCU) with a nuclear strike role.

Whatever the original intentions, to a greater or lesser extent the MRCA ended up successfully replacing Vulcan, Canberra, Jaguar, Buccaneer, even Harrier in nuclear, conventional and maritime strike roles plus Phantoms and Lightnings in AD roles.

By force of circumstance Typhoon, F-35 and Reaper, in very limited numbers, have been adapted to plug the Tornado hole and that of (Sea) Harrier. Maybe Tempest will have a better chance of being designed to fill its actual rather than initially unintended roles.

As I may have said before governments of all hues have ransacked the defence budget for short term gain in short sighted reaction to economic and political events. Wellington said if the government hadn't disbanded his Peninsular army in 1814 to save money, he could have taken the offensive in 1815 and not fought the close run thing that was Waterloo, with an army largely composed of raw recruits. The CFE treaty and the collapse of the Soviet Union allowed a succession of governments to shrink the pot. Ironically while they were knackering the country's military assets by fighting a succession of conflicts.

In despite of a bankrupt economy the post war governments raised the taxes to pay for the welfare state and the nuclear deterrent. Like aerial warfare in WW1 the cyber threat is new and additional and needs additional funds to meet it as the non-cyber threat hasn't vanished. Unfortunately a combination of Covid and a generation of politicos who have made overt additional taxation suicidally toxic mean the funds won't be provided.

I will get off my soapbox now.