PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - If no financial crisis
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2020, 16:00
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
pr00ne,

I never suggested that Attlee and Bevin were Stalinists, I said Bevan, as in Aneurin Bevan, was, as oppose to Ernest Bevin. Yes, AFVG, isn't it easy to get the lettering jumbled now and again. Everything else you said was conjecture. TSR2 was cancelled by the incoming Labour Government as was the F-111, not because of Tory Party cuts but because as you yourself pointed out, the devaluation of the pound to try and increase export orders because their public spending programme was growing beyond the country's ability to pay for it. But the Wilson Government, according to you, appears to have not wanted to do a lot of things they did anyway. I accept that they didn't cause the cancellation of AFVG, but, as you would I'm sure make the case if it was a Tory Government, it was cancelled on their watch. I did point out that they then proceeded with the MRCA, a clear follow on derivative. I also don't understand why you got upset at me about the Labour Defence Study Group, I said their recommendations were ignored. But what about the Carrier cancellations, this brought about the resignation of the 1st Sea Lord, Admiral Sir David Luce and although no longer in office, former CDS, Lord Mountbatten, wasted a lot of time and energy trying to reverse the decision himself. On a tangent away, I thought his relinquishing of the CDS post must have been incorrectly portrayed in 'The Crown' after almost six years incumbent and being 65 years old, I'd have thought, Royal connections or not, it was overdue time for him to retire, not pushed out prematurely by a lefty government.

FB

Last edited by Finningley Boy; 13th Sep 2020 at 16:13.