PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rotor blade stall
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2020, 15:22
Cornish Jack

Received 140 Likes on 89 Posts
Dave B - Partially correct. The pilot was, indeed, known for stupid risk-taking- hovering with wheels on the Ops room (Seco hut) roof, Marine craft 'beat-ups' and the one which killed him, his winchman and a passenger, and injured his Nav/WinchOp, was low level 'terrain-following' over the Downs. His ultimate stupidity was to 'revert' to fixed wing practice and pitch down for the valley slope rather than the helo-required lower collective. RBS did the rest.
Why do I know this? - I was at Valley at the time and the 22 Boss had promised me the very next posting to S England ... he was as good as his word and I was posted to Thorney to replace the dead winchman at such speed, that my first job on shift was to pick up my predecessor's effects from the crash site. The Boss, shortly after, came to 'debrief' us. His primary point was that the flying behaviour of the culprit was known, and had been, for a long time. The risks being posed were obvious to anyone with even the most basic understanding of 'airmanship' ... and nobody had done anything about it!
In essence, it was a complete parallel to the 'back story' of Lt Col Bud Holland, with similar results. Unfortunately, it is not unique, nor, I suspect, will it ever be. There will always be the self-regarding 'ace-of-the-base' in aviation, and much else, who cannot, or will not, see beyond their own self-image. If they are lucky they will only destroy themselves - too often they take others with them.
Why so harsh? - During my S&R time, I saw more than enough results of unavoidable 'incidents'. To fail to take action on obvious potential for such, is, in my opinion, unforgiveable.