PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the airline sector in denial about its imminent collapse?
Old 13th Sep 2020, 12:56
Le Chiffre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by highflyer40
I would beg to differ with that scenario. I have been to Cyprus twice and off to Italy tomorrow. All booked within 3-4 of departure. Just check the numbers per 100000 and if it’s below 10 there is no chance you will get caught in the changing quarantine situation.

Yes you must wear a mask on arrival at the airport, but as soon as you are through security you Plonk yourself down at the bar or restaurant and mask off until boarding time.

All flights I have been on have been at between 25-33% full. After take off everybody spaces out and you have plenty of room. On all flights I have seen some people opening a big bag of crisps or pringles and slowly eating them throughout the flight negating having to wear a mask (as you don’t need to wear a mask while eating or drinking). I personally find this wrong but.... as I’m at least 10 feet away from them it doesn’t bother me much.

once at your destination it is amazing. Lovely summer weather without the crowds. Can always get a table at any restaurant you want when you want. Your comment about wearing masks in 30 degree heat? You only need to wear a mask indoors, and a lost all restaurants are outdoor seating or at least have an outdoor seating area. The last time we were in Cyprus I believe I only wore my mask twice, both times
at the supermarket.

Would I book something for October right now? No, but I would book something for October in October say 3-4 days ahead of time.

Sorry just remembered the most cumbersome
and stressful aspect of going to Cyprus. You
have to have a negative Covid test
to get in.
Points acknowledged. But most people do not have the luxury of booking 2 weeks leave at 3-4 days notice. And nothing says 'all is not well' like everyone wandering round with nappies on their face.

Italy is on the quarantine list, and I think Cyrpus might be. But I'm not sure because the rules are ever changing at 5 minutes notice and, frankly, I (and most others) can't be bothered to become experts on them in order to enjoy a few days in the sun. And even if they are not at the moment they might be in 2 weeks time. But they might not be. So it's easier to not bother and 'stay-safe' (ha ha!) at home.

I'm thinking about taking time off around Christmas but simply do not want to take the risk of booking something and then having to fight the airline for a refund when the country I want to travel to ends up on a 'list'. Plus at least one of the people I want to go with is absolutely terrified of the virus, notwithstanding the fact they are a physically fit female in their early 30s with absolutely no underlying health conditions and a risk profile which is statistically insignificant.

Travel and tourism cannot sustain itself on 20-30% capacity. It's simply not financially viable. And this will become very apparent in about 6 months time when major carriers and hotel chains announce the next round of redundancies.

We need to get it all open again with a balanced, proportionate and sensible approach to risk. Those who want to travel should be allowed to do so with minimal restrictions and regulations. Those who are scared can stay at home for ever, worried that the sky might fall down.