PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scoot Retrenchments
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2020, 07:16
maxconthrust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bringbackthe80s
Not good.
Anyway, this foreigners are the first to go mentality is complete nonsense, the contract you signed is the only thing that counts.
If you signed a fixed term contract then fair enough, otherwise nationality is no issue. Or should we kick out all the foreigners we have in western countries in any industry every time a crisis hits?
Anywhere you go as an expat, you're there to fill a void that locals could not fill.

That void no longer exists and there is a shortage of positions to go around. What are you expecting?

SIA group took a government bailout with taxpayer funds. You expect to keep your job at the expense of a local? Do you see expats in other airlines keeping their jobs at the expense of locals?

The ones who truly wanted to make Singapore their home already took up PR and Citizenship. If you were here for years and never applied for an EP, you've had one foot out the door the whole time.

There were a couple of foreign Scoot captains with alternative employment in their home countries already lined up, not least the Spring Airlines deal (however crap the terms may be), and yet they still decided they would sit on the ground and collect as much free basic pay as they could instead of leaving gracefully since those jobs were a "come over whenever you're ready".

Originally Posted by 787justawetdream
Thank you Krismiler.
That was good information

Logically and responsibly, next to get retrenched will be the top heavy and expensive senior management in Scoot and SIA, seeing that there is not much left for them to do for the next few years. Tough times ahead.
That's very optimistic of you. Senior management getting the axe? I'll be surprised if they don't reward themselves with a fat bonus end of FY21 for "steering the company safely through troubled waters". Look at the measly paycut our top guys took. I'll eat my hat if any of the holy trinity get the axe.