PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fifty-four years of flying!
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2020, 04:59
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Fifty-four years of flying!

Last Tuesday was the 54th anniversary of my first solo flight at White Waltham in Piper Colt G-ARJC:

I always try to fly on or around the anniversary. This year, I decided to do something slightly different - I flew my club's whole fleet in one day!

I took a 2000’ tow in the ASK 21 B, with an instructor, since this aircraft is new to the club and I hadn’t flown it before. For the others, I took 1000’ tows for quick 10 minute flights. Today’s tow pilot very kindly allowed me to do one tow in the Pawnee.

The 1000’ tow in the DG-1000S turned into a great flight. Just as I was about to enter the circuit, I found a good thermal which took me to 7000’, allowing me to cruise around and enjoy the view. I spotted the ASK 21 B thermaling on a training flight and I flew over at 90 kts to join them. I joined the thermal above them and as I pulled up and started turning, I discovered I was almost wing-to-wing with an immature golden eagle, which was also thermaling! A special moment.

After about 45 minutes, I pulled the airbrakes out and descended to land, because there was one more glider to fly and my colleagues wanted to pack the hangar.

Everything packed away and ready for Sunday. “… when you get to use the aeroplane again, it’s an excellent landing!”