PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - If no financial crisis
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2020, 18:46
Archimedes

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Finningley Boy
Hi Archemides,

I wasn't entirely sure hence the question mark, but thanks for the clarification.

FB
I could have phrased that as 'just to answer your question...', couldn't I? Sorry, looks like I was attempting to correct you when that wasn't the cunning plan behind the post...

Originally Posted by Fitter2
Very special circumstances. Voters still remembered vividly 45 to 51, under Labour, the post-war debt state, exaggerated by the appalling 47 winter. rationing of virtually everything. Churchill came in, Festival of Britain, rationing was phased out. Post war gloom was monochrome, Conservative 50s Britain was Technicolour. Media were very gentle to politicians. An easy sell for the candidates.
Although Attlee still managed to win the 1950 election with a small majority and gained an even greater share of the vote in 1951 than Churchill managed... the problem for Attlee was that the additional votes were largely either for incumbent Labour MPs in safe Labour seats or at the expense of the Liberals in seats which the Conservatives still won anyway.