PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Failure after V1
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2003, 05:32
trytofly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Always an interesting subject and one I have discussed many times with other pilots. I haven't read all of the posts on this thread, and so mine may be a repeat.

I have been flying since 1980, and professionaly since 1989. I have in that time read or heard of stories that seem to support all arguements, both ways. Of all these the AF Concorde incident has been the most influential.

I have always questioned the V1 philosophy. I believe it is as dated as the whole performance package that a professional pilot is expected to study and digest. It is born from aviation of a wholly different technology, cabability and knowledge, and is now one of the few areas that remains so engulfed in tradition no one of influence seems prepared to challenge.

Along with this it ( performance ) is made so incredibly complicated that most do not understand it anyway.( though many think they do ).

However, I do believe that V1 ( or at least the principle behind it ) should remain for pilot info. but that the decision to go or stop be left to the pilot in charge on the day. What was going through the minds of those French pilots as they rotated a fiercely burning, underpowered, slow flying, out of control ( etc ) aircraft into completely unknown territory. God bless them.

History shows that both stopping and going after V1 has saved and killed. Let the pilot make the decision. (Until then..do as you are told............ or explain later if you're still around to do so.)

There may be no right or wrong...which is what makes this an emotive subject.

Best of luck. ( and there lies a clue )