PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Moorabbin Taxiway History
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2020, 02:01
triadic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah! In the 60's it was 27 Grass - all over field. I remember once taking off almost directly toward the old tower! Then there was 11/29 which was in fact a taxiway but was used as a runway when the wind was from the SE. Does not show any more on Google. I remember being at the aero club one day and the Beach18 from FIA used 11 for take-off. It came past the aero club parking area with its tail already up! I don't recall 09 Grass as the wind was never that strong from the East. In those days it was an all over field with the runways 17/35 13/31 and 04/22. There were no runway lights, they put a flare path down for night flying. At one stage there was three N/S runways; L C R. C is now a taxiway. The threshold of 22 was back near Centre Dandy Rd long time before development in the NE corner screwed that part of the aerodrome. If I recall correctly there was a 09/27 strip up the northern end parallel with C/Dandy Rd., maybe the old TWY that runs into the development just north of the 13L threshold?
Those were the days! The Aero Club (RVAC) was very active and the old club building had heaps of personality (where the car park is now) and Ron Tyson delivered the fuel right to wherever you were parked. And Avgas was cheaper than Motor spirit!! Avgas was about 2/6 a gallon then.