PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting a PPL, living in the Netherlands
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2020, 11:49
Saintsman

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
RevAB, as you are not adverse to doing a compact course, I would recommend that you look at places where you can do such a course.

Things to consider (apart from the quality of the training) is weather, as you really want to fly every day at least once if you can. If you fly irregularly, then you spend half of your lesson going over what you did on your previous lesson and that obviously elongates your time to qualification.

Also living costs. You will be spending enough on your course, so somewhere relatively cheap would be preferable and don't forget that if you need to get around, then transport comes into the equation unless you can drive there and take your own car.

You will be paying out a large amount in one go, but if you can afford it, it'll be a lot cheaper than doing it locally over what could be a year or two.

I did my PPL in Texas some 30 years ago and it took exactly 3 weeks. Admittedly I knew a bit about aeroplanes and flying before hand, and I went with a friend who also did the course, which meant we could learn from each other. So it can be done in a short time.

One thing I did find out though, is that just because you have a PPL, you still have lots to learn!