PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2020, 07:57
dr dre

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts
Originally Posted by jrfsp
Of fairly significant news today, is BHP permanently axing interstate FIFO roles instead opting for WA based staff. I can see the other big resource companies following suit. This will have significant demand impacts in my view
Obviously BHP isn't going to be getting FIFO workers from out of state into WA for the short term, so any new positions would obviously be staffed with WA locals. It would also save these companies money as I'm told the costs of moving out of state workers temporarily to WA are quite expensive. However, after the borders have come down, I would expect these requirements to be dropped, as there wouldn't need to be any need for them. Interstate FIFO is only a small proportion of overall FIFO anyway. You'd find mostly the companies would only pay for a ticket to/from Perth, and those who chose to live interstate then would buy their own ticket to their state of residence anyway. Once they're off their shift the mining company cannot control their movement.

I don't think a long term imposition of one state only residence would be constitutional anyway. Section 117 of the Constitution resident in any State, shall not be subject in any other State to any disability or discrimination which would not be equally applicable to him if he were a subject of the Queen resident in such other state. So whilst it could be imposed whilst borders are closed once borders are open they wouldn't be able to get away with it.

Last edited by dr dre; 9th Sep 2020 at 08:24.