PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA Licence Transfer to Germany or Netherlands
Old 8th Sep 2020, 12:10
iggy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xin Chao Em,

I transferred my EASA license to the LBA in 2008. In the beginning it was simply great (even more so if compared to my previous CAA: Spain) because they answered all the emails promptly, they were pilot friendly, everything could be done by fax or email attachment, all communications were in English, and they didn't behave like they were god's gift to aviation.

Some years ago, however, they turned to the dark side: since they were Germans they decided that they would only speak German (luckily they were still receiving communications in English, but everything was answered in German), they stopped accepting attachments in emails "due to security reasons" so everything was to be sent my DHL or any other traceable post service, they started to take their sweet time giving feedback and, in general, they started behaving like Southern European government servants having a very bad day. I decided to transfer my license again to another country when, after receiving the fifth or sixth letter from them regarding the training qualification I was try to endorse in my license, I copied and pasted the content of the letter in google translate (the only way I had to understand any letter), and the translation came out something like "Dear Mr.XXXX, We don't understand you, we don't know what you want, and we will not process any more applications from you until you make yourself clear".

After I completed the transfer I burned that letter while dancing around it.

Now, regarding the transfer: it is true that the LBA doesn't keep any medical record from their pilots. But there is a way around that. In my case, the CAA that was going to receive my license sent the LBA a request for my medical file, and then the LBA sent ME a request for the medical reports of my last three Class I renewals. Luckily I made those renewals with a couple of AME's that are amazing human beings and were kind enough to dig in their records and send me a full copy of the reports. I sent the reports to the LBA, the LBA sent them to the receiving CAA, and voila, out of hell I was.

I don't know if this is the standard procedure in any EASA CAA or if the LBA was as eager as I was to cut our professional relationship. Anyway, I'm quite happy now that I don't have to try to understand words with more than 30 letters (most of them consonants ), don't have to ask for a credit when I need to send a stack of documents halfway around the globe like we use to do in the Gutenberg era, and don't have to lock myself in the toilet and muffle my screams with a cushion every time I receive a letter from my CAA.

So, no. Don't transfer to the LBA...

About the Dutch, even the dutch pilots I know say that the Dutch CAA are a bunch of arrogant d***heads. And that is coming from A DUTCH. Go figure!