PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Changing face and culture of HM Forces
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2020, 17:17
Lima Juliet

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
jayteeto

The young people joining now are different to us, but they still get the job done.
I would beg to differ - the current joiners are Gen Z (or sometimes called the iGen). They are pretty similar to the Gen X in all but digital competence (or incompetence for the Gen X!) and vastly different to the Gen Y Millenials, or so-called “Wokes”. In fact, in my experience, there is almost as much dislike for “wokism” from Gen Z as there is from Gen X (which is people born between 1965 and 1980). The Gen Zs (1997 to 2012) are our first truly digital generation and you only have to look at their sharp-whitted memes belittling some of today’s crazy “wokism” to understand what makes them tick. As ever, a natural balance is found in these things and, as ever, the senior leadership is out of touch by thinking that the latest generation want a virtue signalling woke world - they don’t!!

I also agree with FB, in that we have now broken down the last barriers in the Armed Forces with all welcome in all roles. Which is a good thing. It is time to stop mentioning it now and just normalise it - everyone is welcome and the very best will rise on merit (and nothing else).