PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK to Decommission 50%+ of Airbus A380, Axe 1/2 of Pilots & Cabin Crew
Old 6th Sep 2020, 11:26
Eric Hartman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WB1900, I understand your point but you don't know what their cash position is at the moment and what it was at the beginning of the crisis. All the information we have is from their last year's annual report. We cannot use it now as it is not valid any longer. I am not anti pilot (i am a pilot myself) and I am not defending the company in any way. I am just trying to use some common sense by looking at this situation from their perspective. If they keep everyone on a reduced salary for a year and the market does not pick up next year (it probably won't to any pre 2020 comparable levels) what should they do then? Fire people after keeping them for a year on a reduced salary? How can that be justified? You do not have any real figures or data to base your judgement on, nor do I. They have all the available tools. I am sure they have chosen the most cost effective way. We might not like it but it makes perfect sense for the company. Cost cutting is never a pleasant exercise for employees, I have gone through several redundancies myself so I know what I am talking about. But looking in the past and saying how it all could have been done wont help anybody.