PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RANS S6 ES
Thread: RANS S6 ES
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2020, 09:55
mikehallam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jan & Andy,
Just to the left of photo along the red stripe is my tiny Ali static port pitot 'button'.
This position is set by being about as far back as I could reach to fit the pipe and securing flange nut inside later on
The left fus. side was selected because I'm right handed and thus an easier fiddle.
A double static was installed by the factory on my 1963 Jodel from new i.e. a port each side cross connected & to a Tee going off to the ASI.
In practice one side only on the Rans works perfectly well in S & L and is accurate at 100 mph when compared with GPS in two directions. I've checked that many times and I'm sure. Certainly I like to see the true airspeed & not a fiction produced when the static sees a reduced cabin pressure at cruise speeds. Side slipping heavily on 'finals' seems to give good readings too so I avoided the extra complication, with no negatives.
It's a thin and light ALI 'button' through drilled approx. 1 mm. [Tube and hole size are not critical as as the name suggests there is no actual air flow, it simlply senses 'static' air pressure]. then with very small dia lightweight plastic tube inside so as not to put much load on the fabric. The button entered through a 3 or 4 mm hole burnt in the fabric with a soldering iron tip (as recommended by Rans for makingall their lacing holes). The button diameter is approx 13 mm and thin and flat to stay flat on the fabric. The stem is threaded on its approx. 4 mm spigot to take a home made flat Ali plate of sufficient thickness to take a matching thread and secures the static button so the inside face of the fabric is also held flat. That's quite enough to postion it. The very light plastic tube runs as one finds convenient along the fuse and up to the ASI Tee pieces (I have EFIS and ASI) where with a length of standard fatter tube grafted on its diameter fits onto the standard instrument spigots. A few pieces of stick tight tape help stop the pipe flapping about and the staic position is as close as I coud get to a fuselage cross brac tube so the first sticky tape is there.
The thingis it's unobtrusive and if you don't like it no harm's done. I have fitted it twice without aggro as i renewed my fuselage fabric 3 years ago and simply refitted the button etc more or less as before

Rans Static port