PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RANS S6 ES
Thread: RANS S6 ES
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2020, 07:35
sportflying

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a taildragger 912 S6. I fly mostly solo with no problems at all. The 912 works very well, plenty of power for the plane. I’ve flown this Rans and also my previous 503 S6 across Europe - touring is easy and comfortable plus I often put my Brompton in the baggage compartment as it fits easily. I fly at around 80mph and low 4000s rpm for 11-12lph.

I have one central pull throttle which is good, too. I’ve had side throttles in the past and flew a Skyranger with them last week and I found the central pull gives me more fine control as I can twist it slightly for a couple of hundred rpm change.

i too have pretty big main tyres. It lands on rough grass and will happily get muddy too (my strip gets very wet at times).

The plane handles very well. It took me about 10 minutes to get used to the Skyranger as they are so similar. The SKR needed more rudder input as the Rans one is huge. That really is the one difference between Rans and SKR - the SKR is very forgiving and will brush off bad flying, especially unbalanced turns, where the Rans likes to see correct input. It’s really not a big deal and coordinated turns in the Rans are easy.

There are literally thousands of S6 flying, many with high hours. They are very comfortable, easy to maintain, easy to fly and a lot of fun. An excellent touring machine with roomy cockpit, good baggage, lots of fuel and you can fly for hours without tiring.

I saw your FB post and a certain person telling you how wrong your choice is. I disagree with him (not for the first time). It sounds S6 is perfectly suited to your needs. Best of luck!