PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RANS S6 ES
Thread: RANS S6 ES
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2020, 10:36
mikehallam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own an S6-116, much the same inside as the vanilla S6ES, except it has smaller wings.
The builder from original kit may have deviated from, or left out some items.
e.g. There are two throttle levers mounted to the left of the P1's thigh and another between the seats. Very ergonomic and easy to rest ones hand on or close to the throttle in flight.
On mine the constructor did not install P2 brake cables (I've excellent cable/drum brakes). I agree as P2 shouldn't normally need them unless the a/c is used at a training establishment. In any case extra complexity from a cable mixing box !
The engine (80 hp) is excellent too, runs like a car, starts almost like a car if enrichment is set up properly. Mine is a fraction faster than the S6, at 4,900 rpm and Warp Drive ground adjustable two bladed propeller set to my liking for smart lift off, she'll cruise solo at some 95 mph.
If the ASI static is as per LAA suggestion it's using cabin pressure, which falsley enhances one's apparent speed the faster you go. I have, like a few others, replaced that with a fuselage side static which is about right at 100 mph.
Depending on its age the earlier fin is subject to an AD and the LAA TADS have loads of things to check and/or are incorporated.
Solo with 70 litres of fuel in the wing tanks, mine uses approx. 14 litres per hour at 4,800 rpm ie max to dry 5 hours at say true 85 mph ( I have records) perhaps a tad slower for the big wing S6 and my 4 hour distance is 340 miles in still air.
I legally put on fatter tyres as it's a tail wheeler, so an easy thing, can't on nose wheel of course !. Means my clay based grass sod is useable for almost the whole year.
It's a proper a/c, roomy inside, does what it should, and spares available. Simple to maintain oneself too.