PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2020, 09:56
Bend alot

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by aviation_enthus
The UK government policy was anyone that tests positive and then dies, goes down as a COVID death. They actively searched the death records for people that previously tested positive (even if months before and they since recovered). That has only recently been changed (in August).

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3220

quote from the webpage:

“PHE’s analysis showed that 88% of deaths from covid-19 in England occurred within 28 days of a positive test result, while 96% occurred within 60 days or had covid-19 on the death certificate. As a result, rather than counting anyone who had ever tested positive as a covid associated death, PHE will now use two definitions of death with covid-19 in England.”

The Victorian CMO has publicly stated (in a news conference) that even deaths in palliative care are counted as a COVID death if they test positive. I’m sure it goes down as an extra reason on the death certificate, but to the media it’s presented as a COVID death.

Thats just two governments that I’ve paid attention to how they record deaths. Now all that being said, I’m sure in the UK the number of “wrong” deaths from COVID is a relatively small number of the total. Likewise in Victoria we’ll never know how many older people just died but not from COVID, cause they refuse to breakdown the numbers.

But it all just distracts from the fact “excess people” are dying at the moment (see my previous post).
I agree, but also it is expected Sweden initial and now total deaths are understated due to initial under testing and subsequent faulty test kits.

But no point to argue, as we both agree the "excess" is obvious.