PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 3rd Sep 2020, 17:06
Le Chiffre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I struggle to see the future looking anything like we thought it would at the start of the year.

The need for business travel has drastically reduced and most people are doing things remotely that they would previously have done in person before.

The days of managers and directors travelling from London to LA 3 times a year for meetings are probably over, now they have got used to the idea of doing this over Zoom at no cost. The likes of Google used to book out half of Vegas for conferences and fly thousands of people in from all over the world. I can't see this happening again any time soon, but it may eventually return, perhaps. My O/H used to work in Berlin, flying out on Mon morning and returning to London on Thu night to WFH on Fri. This has long since stopped with no sign of ever resuming - she is doing everything from home.

The issue is basic economics for any large airline. Supply will massively outstrip demand for the forseeable future. Running at 20-30% capacity and losing £20 million a day is not sustainable.

Unless the confidence to travel can quickly be restored round 2 of compulsory redundancies is a virtual certainty. If they are operating on LIFO (which has to be done very carefully in order to be legal) then anyone with under 5 years on short-haul is probably 'in the zone'.