PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rescue Axe
Thread: Rescue Axe
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2020, 08:53
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Wartime axe for wartine materials

Originally Posted by Planet Basher

This axe is marked Chillington 1940. Although the Google reveals other Quadrant axes I cannot find one in this format. Could anyone give me a pointer to it's use in aviation, if any.
I have one of these, and one without the full quadrant. They work fine on light aircraft structures and the full quadrant is to prevent the axe jamming if it fully penetrates the skin. Supplied with nice leather holster I think several still around on RFF trucks where mine came from, but now only chops kindling for wood burner. AS alluded not so effective on later (hard) grades of aircraft alloys which needed to be cut rather than chopped, and rather dangerous to the user on Perspex as they can rebound and its back to Rorkes Drift types of injuries. Nice rubber covered handle as standard in event of chopping an electrical cable. The non quadrant variety also has a solid tapered spike which is ideal as a prising tool. Still to be found in second hand shops and will last for about 300 years if abused and 500 if looked after. I suspect with the weight saving holes this one would be part of the on board safety equipment for a larger aircraft.