PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2020, 04:53
YoursAye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Military flying clubs for training?

Hey all, first time post.

I'm a member of the ADF in non-aviation employment. Pre-Military days I recall people telling me about their own 'good old days' where by if you were a RAAFie you had the option of getting your PPL free or discounted or when the pilots proper just got given some GA aircraft to keep their hours up. After day dreaming about an RPL/PPL for sometime, the thought of this just popped into my head again. So after a little research I've come across a few RAAF flying clubs who's membership seems to only be open to ADF members - after doing some extremely basic arithmetic their costs appear to be nearly half or even a quarter of what a commercial aviation school would offer (not incl. testing, exams, etc). The catch appears that their might be a waiting list for training, they operate from military airbases and that they (rightfully so) operate at non or low-operational hours for the priority military traffic - Thereby limiting flying to weekends. All of these are things I don't care about or have access too.

Does anyone have any experience with Military flying clubs to get their non-professional licence?