PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 2nd Sep 2020, 20:22
flyingkeyboard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cilla1989

I’m in a similar position to you, in that I’m in the RAF, but with 5 years until my EDP point (I’m 35 in a few months). Too late to leave now and I enjoy my current job so I’ll ride it out until I’m 40. The aim is to be qualified around a year to six months befor I leave. PPL is almost finished (you’ll love it!) so now I’m considering what to do ref hour building. I’m open minded, however I do think that we (military) are fairly versatile and can draw on a lot of experience dealing with people, problems, technology, crises, etc. Regarding the age issue, pretty much every instructor I’ve come across has been positive and until Covid came along they were talking about getting a job not being an issue. A few days ago I was chatting with a BA recruiter and A380 pilot; he said In his opinion, that things will pick up in a few years and the demand for pilots will be there, which was encouraging.

I used all of my ELCs towards the PPL and if you are down south, I can recommend a decent military affiliated club which has very competitive rates for aircraft hire/instruction. Drop me a pm.