PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crosswind Landing
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2020, 17:54
Fl1ingfrog

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
There are many types between a glider and a heavy transport aeroplane that are better landed using the crab technique, Amongst the long list is the Seneca 11. The props are precariously low to the ground. In my view It is critical to maintain wings level with plenty of back pressure on touch down to ensure there is not a prop strike. A prop strike is not an infrequent event when pilots have elected to use wing down on these aeroplanes in strong crosswinds.

Pilot Dar's point on ensuring that the aeroplane doesn't drift downwind across the runway is important. If the pilot kicks too early this is a real threat. The answer is not to do that. If you are a bit late kicking nothing much will come from it. The plane will land with one wheel ahead of the other and will swing straight around that wheel while the plane is still light on the ground with a little friction. Any sideways force on the leading wheel is very slight and therefore of little concern. As has been said the crab requires thorough training which is why I have always taught it first. The slipping landing is relatively straightforward to teach. When applicable the wing down method is my usual choice.