PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crosswind Landing
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2020, 12:47
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
I avoid cross control slip in a taildragger, I always go crab and kick there
I cross control slip my taildragger regularly with no problem. In flight, a plane is a plane. As I touch the upwind mainwheel during my wheel landing, I'll smoothly align the airplane with the runway - but that's for a taildragger. Wheels on the runway technique is a little different for taildraggers, though airborne is the same.

If you're slipping the plane, you have one wing lower than the other, so one mainwheel lower than the other, and you're maintaining your alignment with the runway. You have satisfied yourself well back on final approach that you can control the plane in that wind. If you fly all the way to contact that way, you know that you can land, albeit one mainwheel first - no problem. If you've chosen to crab your way down final approach, you will have to align the plane to the runway at the last moment. Doable, though you're introducing a destabilized approach at the very last moment, when you're also judging the flare. If you were holding an awesome crab, you could find that when you "kick it straight", the plane drifts downwind as you do that, and then you find that you're short on control to maintain the runway alignment, just as you need even more to get yourself back the centerline, 'cause you've been blown downwind across the runway a little.

When I train pilots in amphibious floatplanes, it's always touch the upwind main wheel first, and then hold the downwind main off just a little with increasing aileron deflection, to be sure. If you crab an amphibious floatplane onto the runway, particularly a paved one, you're at risk of rolling it over.

Flaring for landing requires judgement and attention. Complicating that maneuver by superimposing a rapid "kick" to change heading simultaneously just gives you more work. Yes, airliners with low hanging engines, and sailplanes do require this technique because large roll angles close to the surface are unwise, but as we're talking PA-28, we're not talking airliners and sailplanes! That's why there is post PPL type training!