PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crosswind Landing
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2020, 08:49
Jhieminga

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
We can get really hung up on what is the 'best' technique or on what to call it or what is the maximum you've ever experienced, but the main thing is to build up experience safely and get comfortable with crosswind landings. I find that a lot of PPL students are not used to crossing controls and this is partially due to the fact that slipping is not always taught extensively (check your POH for the limitations on this as well). Glider pilots are a lot more comfortable with this option. One way I have found to teach a crosswind approach and landing uses what I described in my earlier post: instead of crabbing and applying rudder at the last moment, I let the student get into the 'one-wing-low' attitude from 300 feet on and use those 300 feet to get used to the sight, feeling and control movements needed to keep the aircraft where we want it. Once that becomes familiar we can move the transition to 200 feet, 100 feet and by doing that, transitioning from a crabbing approach to land on the upwind wheel during the flare, which is a dynamic situation in itself without introducing the complexity of crosswind, starts to get easier. I have left out the different rate of descent you might get, transitioning through the flare and moving to a control input for use during rollout/taxiing and many other things I'm sure. For the full story the best thing is still: team up with your favourite instructor, book a lesson in some nice steady crosswind conditions and practice! Teaching this through an internet forum is never going to be a succes