PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I guess so
Thread: I guess so
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2020, 08:31
Axel-Flo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Origins of a “Quote”

Ok, well the deleted thread was started by a new member asking if anyone knew the origins of an alleged quote. It had been on an e-mail sent out by a serving officer at the bottom of the mail perhaps as part of the signature block. One person who’d seen this had then become offended and felt disrespectfully treated since the supposed quote didn’t acknowledge the importance of their role or work within the service. As a result of this they raised an Anonymous Complaint form which was then being actioned by PSF and further by the individuals chain of command. After much to and fro and a bit of banter the OP withdrew and deleted the whole thread. This, since it was their first and only thread and pitched up so coincidentally with the actions being taken on unit, appears to have perhaps been a phishing trip to source providence or not of the quote to help substantiate/back up/Justify the complainants case. So, if you can help at all with the quote that caused so much offence great😁. It’s certainly been floating around since at least the early 80s and probably earlier. In general, by most, it seemed to be banterous, and was thrown at various ground trades back then (not solely but certainly something I remember from V813) who organised “ex-corporals nights”in the Sgts mess bar to exclude the supposed “plastic” Sgt NCA and without doubt was partly responsible for the creation of “The Street”😇. Anyway should you be able to shed further light on this it was similar to the quotation below....

“The business of the Royal Air Force is flying and fighting........
...the business of those who don’t is to support those who do”🤔

Incidentally, part of the problem was that a screenshot of the complaint was then shared within a Watsapp group of peers but further shared without permission again and again and went pseudo viralish. That then brought into question comsec and release of information issues for different individuals and their SM responsibilities......