PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Voyager Parties
Thread: Voyager Parties
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2020, 22:58
langleybaston

Received 714 Likes on 251 Posts
Originally Posted by PapaDolmio
Boozing in the Met Office? Whatever next?

The only training course I ever attended in 30 years service where the bar was open (and used) was the Met Observer course at Shinfield.
Ah! Yes!

Old Tom in charge behind the bar.
Breakspears draught. Smelt like sewage but after a couple who cared? The bar was in the lovely old Shinfield House, ex-Fighter Command minor HQ in the war, complete with Eagle statue.
The squirrels were semi-tame, and ate scraps from the students, and sometimes ate scraps of the students.
The Principal used my son and I, each with a 22 air rifle, to cull the little buggers. We would nominate a target, and fire simultaneously. Squirrels never knew what hit them. The other big perk was being near to Arborfield Garrison, complete with stables. Offspring could do the full Pony Club thing in exchange for shovelling sh1t and grooming. And free bags of sh1t when dad collected.
The Instructors at Shinfield had the best jobs in the organisation, and most were moved on after 3 or 4 years to retain real world currency. As in a demanding Wing Co Ops or Wing Co Flying.