PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crosswind Landing
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2020, 19:25
Big Pistons Forever

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan Olieslagers
Isn't it a matter of "crabbing in" vs. "side-slipping in"? Myself mightily enjoy sideslips, either to counter a crosswind or to get rid of excess height. But the gliders seem to prefer cerabbing, no surprise with those dragonfly wings they carry.
Same here, I use a side slip for all light aircraft I fly and a modified wing down in the transport Category Turbo props I have flown. However as you pointed out gliders have to be landed wings level so a crab method is used.

I have landed a C 172 in a 30kt 90 degree crosswind many years ago when I was young and foolish. I used the maximum wing down I could hold with rudder and then touched down with enough crab to keep straight. The tire gave a bit of yelp on touchdown but it worked fine until I came to a stop and tried to turn off at the exit. This required a turn out of the wind and as soon as started to turn the wind started lifting the tail and upwind wing. A frantic blast of power and a turn back into the wind got me back on 3 wheels but it was a close call. So now I was stuck on the runway and running out of ideas. Fortunately after a few minutes there was a temporary lull in the wind and I was able to exit the runway and swing into an into wind tie down spot where I hastily secured the aircraft and vowed "Never Again !"

Last edited by Pilot DAR; 2nd Sep 2020 at 02:08. Reason: typo