PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crosswind Landing
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2020, 18:59
Fl1ingfrog

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I've always taught the crab with a kick straight as you touch down as the primary cross wind method for ab initio. This is simply because there are many aeroplanes that are limited in the amount of roll you can apply without the wing tip striking the ground on landing. even with heavy aircraft the B737-200 was limited owing to the risk of the engine nacelles striking the ground as was the B707.The wing down method is relatively straightforward to teach later and I did so. The PA28 series with the 'Hersey Bar' wing will run out of aileron very early on and so the wing down method is not effective in strong cross-winds owing to that limitation.

Some of the wind down methods are incorrectly described. The intention is to slip into the wind equal to the rate of drift to maintain the centre line. The rudder is then used to prevent the resulting yaw and so the aeroplane is kept maintaining the centre line with slip. The nose in a crosswind will not be pointing along the centre line and so it is not correct to say you steer the centre line by aligning the nose with rudder.

It is foolish and totally unnecessary to cross control at 200-300 feet. unless you are intending a slipping approach during a glide approach but i'm sure that is not intended in the description.