PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crosswind Landing
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2020, 17:10
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
An old 172 with a skilled experienced pilot will land without squeak up to about 30-35 knots 90 cross
Well... not this old 172 pilot. 25 knot direct crosswind, maybe, with lots of effort, and a bit of screeching of tires. By 30 knots direct crosswind, you've run out of control to hold it along the runway centerline. I've done the testing. One of my projects was flight testing a modified Cessna Grand Caravan for crosswind compliance. 20, gusting to 25 knots was the limit for controllability in that plane. At times, I had full aileron and rudder applied, and was starting to use some brake to keep straight on the runway. There are sometimes tricks, like landing diagonally along a runway, but such things are outside the scope of "proper" piloting of rental airplanes.

In a PA-28, or any GA plane, 10 knots should be achievable with a little practice and self confidence. Focus mostly on keeping the plane on the centerline. Let your mind fly the plane, and think less about exactly what control inputs you're making - that can actually distract you. In a 10 knot crosswind, whatever control inputs you apply which keep you on the centerline at approach speed will be safe. I have run out of aileron while flying a PA-28R in a heavy crosswind (18 to 20 knots, if I remember), so I went elsewhere that day. If you can hold the runway centerline down the final approach, you should feel confident about completing the landing. If you can't maintain the runway centerline on final, I'd go somewhere else.

If you plan to land with the upwind main wheel contacting first, that' entirely okay, and no need to rush to get the other main wheel on, it'll settle when it's ready. Just hold the roll input you had when you touched the upwind mainwheel, while keeping straight with the rudder, and you should be fine.