PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crosswind Landing
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2020, 11:15
Oxygene

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crosswind Landing

Hello,

I am a newly qualified SEP PPL(A) pilot and would just like to ask for some advise from experience of crosswind landings. I was landing in a 10kt on Saturday at my local airfield and I was holding off and fairly well aligned with the center-line of the runway, I just felt the aircraft yaw about 10 deg. to the left, which eventually resulted in the aircraft landing in this attitude. It did make for a very smooth landing. It all happened very quickly and I was think about correcting with a bit of right rudder, but by that time the aircraft had landed.

I reflection, I think my slow reaction in giving it some right rudder, was that I was not confident in how the aircraft would have behaved in reaction to be just pressing the right rudder. I did not want to totally unsettle the aircraft at such a late stage.

From experience, would the aircraft have just yawed to the right (i.e. 'lined me up)'or would it have induced some roll too. Would just inputting rudder have been okay, or should I have crossed controlled?

I probably need to spend some time landing in crosswind conditions, which i will do. But I would like to hear some advice from an experienced pilot too. As I said, I am newly qualified and recognize that there is still so much to learn!

Thanks for reading!