PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 31st Aug 2020, 16:48
NoelEvans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find the vilification of those who 'should be retiring early to make way for others' that I read here to be utterly nauseating.

Yes, some may be showing off about their wealth, they are gits. But how can you possibly assume everyone's circumstances based on those gits?

Somebody who is "62+" (a quoted above here) may have had a very carefully worked out plan for their retirement. Why should that be snatched away from them to make way for someone younger who has a whole lifetime ahead of them to make those plans? There are assumptions about what pensions they might have to live off. As wiggy has pointed out, those may not be as rosy as the 'assumer' thinks. I have already pointed out that there is a final salary pension scheme that has had a 35% reduction in payouts; I know that several of the people who will be relying on that money are now in BA, so how well are your assumptions doing on their perceived wealth there? You should all have seen the graph of 'stored vs active' airliners that has put everyone in this mess -- and for those who have forgotten I will repeat it:

Well, if you want to see another 'cliff edge', have a look at this graph of a few pension funds values ending on that same date:

That "62+" year-old that is being vilified here has to rely on that FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIFE if they are to pack it in now.

By comparison the younger pilots still have a lifetime ahead of them to rectify the situation that they are in now. Should we start making assumptions about how well they will do out of it in the long run? No, let's not stoop to being as low as some who are vilifying the older have stooped.

Everyone is an individual with individual circumstances. Yes, there may be some gits 'at the top'. Just the same as there are some nauseating gits selfishly wanting to push the "62+" out of the way for their own selfish ends.

On another topic, someone said
Remember who the enemy is.
The true enemy is a nasty bug from the east that caused that graph on airliners that I posted above.
If you are forgetting that, you have truly lost the plot on this entire matter.

Last edited by NoelEvans; 31st Aug 2020 at 16:51. Reason: Typo