PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VC 10 to fly again as a tanker
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2020, 13:30
NutLoose

Received 2,942 Likes on 1,253 Posts
Originally Posted by Chugalug2
Thanks for that Nutty, so as CAMO you would certify that this VC-10 is airworthy or not for the FAA? How would you know, given that various RAF a/c and systems featuring in airworthiness related fatal air accident threads here were operating under illegal RTS's or lacking a Safety Case? I'm quite sure that those responsible for declaring those a/c as serviceable for their final flights had no idea that they were unairworthy, so how would a CAMO know?

If this is 'larger stuff', and dealt with alone by the FAA, same question. How would they know?
Nope, one, the FAA is a different kettle of fish and will cover it themselves.... two, as ex military having various modifications to the civilian airframe, the FAA will i would imagine will want to be involved in depth, especially as it will not have had a Certificate of Airworthiness issued, I would imagine they will want to survey the aircraft. my best guess is engines and PFCU's etc would be a major concern, in the RAF we would do anti det runs every 28 days on the engines, although it is ran and fast taxied etc, one wonders how regular they have been ran, when they flew the ones out of Abingdon they swopped out those with flight ready engines and PFCU's then ferried them gear down, unpressurised while paying the crews megga bucks for the short hop to Filton. Myself I do twins down these days.