PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a professional pilot, and finding a job
Old 2nd Dec 2003, 06:24
Quarto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying Career Advice

Hi, I have been reading PPRUNE for a while now and thought I would take the plunge with my first post on the boards and ask for some advice from some experienced aviators regarding a career in aviation.

I am at the moment in the penultimate year of a degree at University but desperatley would like to pursue a career in aviation flying helicopters.

It seems to me that there are two options available:
1.Attempt to enter the Armed forces and receive training through them. Which would depend on whether I passed the selection process(I've heard it is a pretty tough and strict). I would be able to attemt the selection procedure after I finish my degree.
OR
2. Attempt to get a civilian licence. The main problem I would have with this road would be the financial barrier. Due to the downturn in the North Sea Oil market it seems that sponsorship with civilian compainies are non-existent at the moment. This would mean having to work for a period to gather up some financial resources before I could begin training. I wouldn't mind doing this except it will delay the time by a year or two before I could begin training.

Which way to go?

In a way I would also be interested in hearing how any of you qualified and experienced pilot's would choose your route of training if you were to start your flying career tomorrow?

I realise similar questions have been asked before but when searching throught the boards I couldn't find one that answered my particular questions.

I look forward to hearing your replies.

Thanks,
Quarto