PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seeing Hitler in real life
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2020, 11:07
Hokulea

Received 116 Likes on 59 Posts
Seeing Hitler in real life

My mother is 87 and was born in Austria, somewhere near Vienna. She spent most of her life in the Austrian Alps during WWII as a refugee escaping the Nazis with her mother and sisters. Her brother was forced to join the German Army and lost his life on the Russian front, but she survived. Later on, she emigrated to the UK and married my father who was in the RAF and fought during WWII. My father passed away a long time ago but told me all sorts of stories about his service during the war and afterward. My mother has been reluctant to tell me stories but did learn about how her family continually moved to escape the Nazis.

Just yesterday, I learned from a family friend that she actually saw Hitler in real life. She didn't meet him she just saw him in an open-top vehicle, I assume visiting Vienna. My mother never told me about this and am reluctant to ask her about this, but at some point, I think I should. I live half a planet away and due to COVID I can't visit but do call often just to see how she is. Of course, I will go back to the UK if she becomes ill, but right now she's doing fine.

For some reason, however, I just can't get it out of my head that she actually saw Hitler. I'm having a tough time processing this and wondered if anyone else here is in the same position or knows someone who is. I suspect some might see this as some weird liberal "look at me" post but that couldn't be further from the truth. For those who might understand what I'm getting at, do you have any advice? My mother lived with this for so long without telling me and I'm sure she has a good reason for doing so, but she is also a part of history and is in a group of people that is growing smaller every day.

Sorry for the somewhat discordant post, but hope one or two of you will understand how I feel.

Thank you.