PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2020, 18:43
commit aviation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It raises the question again: does the government in this country actually want to support aviation?
No support package for any part of the industry that I can recall beyond the offerings that all business have had (although it should not be understated how hugely important they have been.)
With schools returning, office workers are now being encouraged to go back to work.
A cynic might wonder if MPs have interests in property companies that could lose out if people continue to work from home. Plus the exchequer will lose out on tax revenues from various sources. The lack of commuting journeys must be beneficial from an environmental perspective but I don't see that being mentioned much at present.
OK - the tax revenue issue is relevant with aviation too but maybe offset by the environmental topic and the politics around it which does make the news. I think it has been raised previously that an aviation downturn avoids lots of political trivails around LHR Runway 3 and other airport developments that were in the pipeline.
On the plus side, a large number of back-benchers from all sides of the house signed a letter to Rishi Sunak this week to again raise the aviation industry's plight. Let's hope those at the top start listening.