PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Death of British Aviation
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2020, 14:27
BallastBob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to face facts

The aviation industry will not rebound from this in the way everyone on this forum is hoping. That is the reason airlines aren’t being bailed out by the government - they’d rather throw good money after bad somewhere the public actually cares about rather than lose their shirt on an industry that they want to phase down - for many reasons, not least the environmental ones (that the public ‘cares’ about). Why won’t it bounce back? Because business customers (like me) have found a different, more convenient and cheaper way of working online. Having flown around the globe several times on business trips (with large teams of people filling the seats and costing a fortune) I can’t imagine ever having to do it again...and for that I am profoundly grateful. Will I fly on business? Probably - down from 10 - 15 long hauls per year to zero and the same amount of short hauls to just a handful. Everything else can be done online. Will I still want to go on holiday? Yes, but not if prices sky-rocket to compensate. The aviation industry is on a cliff edge...thank you for taking care of me and my fellow travellers...but now it’s time for you to take care of yourselves and your families.